TRAINING – Boat handling taster sessions & R.Y.A. certification
Camboats are pleased to offer a range of boat taster sessions and access to full Royal Yacht Association (R.Y.A.) certificated training.
These range from a one hour basic boat handling session to half-day and full day events, along with the full two day RYA Inland Waterways ‘Helmsman’ or alternatively the one day ‘Crew’ certificated courses. The two certificated courses are delivered by a R.Y.A. approved Training Centre and Trainer.
Boat Handling Taster – how to handle a boat safely! Camboats are pleased to offer a range of boat taster sessions. These range from a one/two hour basic boat handling sessions to half-day and full day extensive hands-on coaching. Short sessions of one or two hours just to give you a feel for handling a boat before you go off and hire one for a holiday are popular. Also available are ‘own boat’ training sessions, where one of our experienced skippers comes to you and gives you coaching on your own vessel. Most taster sessions start at The Plough, Fen Ditton, Cambridge as a convenient base (other start points on request). Gift vouchers are also available as a unique present for that hard-to-buy for friend or family member. Vouchers can also be used as an unusual motivational gift for high performing team members in a work context.. Call us or use the Contact Form to request details of prices.
- Berthing alongside.
- Personal Safety: Recovery of person overboard. Life jackets and buoyancy aids.
- Boat Safety: Fire hazards, Use of fire extinguishers.
- Watertight integrity. Re-floating after grounding. Fouled propeller.
- Locks: General understanding and use of locks (manual and hydraulic). Tending lines in locks. Safety in locks.
- Care of the environment: Avoiding damage to boats, banks, flora and fauna. Pollution avoidance.
- Consideration for other waterway users – Power and non-powered craft.
- Lots of time at the helm.
Sample half-day taster session can cover:
- Common terms, Basic mooring techniques and some ropework/knots.
- Boat basics – safety checks prior to departure.
- Rules of the river – how to navigate safely with other vessels.
- Securing to bollards, rings, cleats and mooring stakes.
- Helmsmanship and boat handling;
- Loading and weight distribution.
- Steering on a canal/river.
- Control of speed. Turning and reversing.
- RYA Inland Waterways Helmsman Certificate. Two Day Course – covers all of the full RYA course syllabus content, with a key focus on safe navigation and boat handling.
- RYA Inland Waterways Crew Certificate. One Day Course – giving confidence to be a useful member of crew and be able to assist with emergency situations.